LADO & UNESCO
Croatia has one of the largest number of items on the UNESCO list of intangible cultural heritage. LADO has incorporated, and adapted for its programme the songs, dances and customs of Croatia that are protected by this list, and presents them on stage as part of its repertoire.
This are items are:
- Spring procession of Queens from Gorjani,
- Two-part Singing and Playing in the Istrian Scale,
- Ojkanje singing (archaic and distinctive voice-shaking technique),
- Annual Carnival Bell Ringers’ Pageant from the Kastav Area,
- Procession Za Križen (Following the Cross) on the Island of Hvar
- Silent kolo – Circle Dance of Dalmatian Hinterland
- Bećarac - Humorous Folksong from Slavonia
- Klapa - Form of Traditional Croatian A-Cappella Singing
Međimurska popevka, a folksong from Međimurje
We would like to emphasize that these items can only be experienced in their original quality and form at their authentic place of origin, but through LADO's performances, its audiences have the unique opportunity to see, hear and experience these protected customs away from their source!
More about these items, including videos, can be found at the official web site of Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia.